RESEARCH EXPERIENCES FOR UNDERGRADUATES (REU)
DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES
How to apply
REALM PROGRAM DETAILS
The 2021 program will run from June 1 to August 6, 2021
- You receive a stipend of $6000 (distributed bi-weekly). These funds are considered a scholarship / fellowship and could be taxable, depending on your overall tax situation.
- Travel to/from Salt Lake City is covered up to $600.
- We provide housing: in modern, furnished campus apartments. Each student has a private, locking bedroom in an apartment that includes a full kitchen. Additional options are available when needed. Costs for certain situations could fall to the participant, such as costs related to housing for family members, because that is outside the scope of our funding.
Additional housing details can be found here
To be eligible for this research opportunity you must be:
- a US citizen, US national, or US permanent resident
- enrolled as an undergraduate in a degree program leading to a baccalaureate or associate degree
- most accepted applicants will have a minimum grade point average of 2.75
- Non-US students and graduating seniors are not eligible for this program
Summer 2021 Realm
Deadline: February 12, 2021
- Complete the form
- Upload official transcripts
- Submit one reference for the letter of recommendation
Letter of Recommendation
Each applicant is required to have one letter of recommendation on their behalf. The reference is contacted automatically when your application is submitted.
realm supports an inclusive environment
REALM has been designed to welcome and support underrepresented students from a variety of backgrounds in a highly inclusive environment. Applications from minority serving and 2-year institutions are strongly encouraged.
In addition, the University of Utah offers many campus-wide initiatives for inclusive excellence.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
- What does it mean to be enrolled in a degree program? Do you mean taking classes during
You cannot graduate before you participate in the program; thus, the soonest you can be planning to graduate is December 2021 if you want to participate in summer 2021. However, there is a caveat: You may graduate from an associate's (2-year) degree and still participate so long as you are enrolled for the fall of 2021 to continue your schooling for a 4-year undergraduate degree.
- Do I need to / can I take classes during the summer?
Taking classes during the REU is strongly discouraged. Part of the point of participating in an REU is to see what a career in research would be like. It is essentially a full-time job. Plus, it is mentally demanding. You'll be learning new research skills, and a lot about your particular research topic.