B.S. Degree Requirements
I. General Information
A total of 122.5 credit hours are required for the major. Students will need to complete the following four components to satisfy the University and Departmental degree requirements:
- General Education/Baccalaureate Courses
- Lower-Division Required Courses
- Upper-Division Required Courses
- Capstone Experience
Students must maintain an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher and receive a grade of C or higher in all MATH courses and a grade of C- or higher in all other courses required for the major. Students should plan on meeting with an academic advisor each semester to ensure efficient progress toward the degree.
II. General Education/Baccalaureate Courses*
Students may use the information provided below or refer to this worksheet when completing the General Education/Baccalaureate Requirements.
- Writing Requirements (WR1 and WR2): WRTG 1010 and WRTG 2010
- Quantitative Reasoning (QR): MATH 1210 and MATH 1220
- Meets QR requirement and serve as prerequisites for Lower- and Upper-Division Required Courses.
- Math Placement Information
- American Institutions (AI): 1 course
- Social/Behavioral Science Exploration (BF): 2 courses
- Humanities Exploration (HF): 2 courses
- Fine Arts Exploration (FF): 2 courses
- Physical/Life Sciences Exploration (SF): ATMOS 1010 and ATMOS 1020
- Meets SF Requirement and a Lower-Division Requirement.
Upper-Division Communication/Writing (CW): 1 course chosen from WRTG 3014, WRTG 3015, PHYS 4910, or GEO 3200
- Diversity Requirement (DV)
- Students are encouraged to take a Diversity course that also fulfills Fine Arts (FF), Humanities (HF), or Social/Behavioral Science (BF) Requirements .
- International Requirement (IR): ATMOS 3100
- Meets both the IR requirement and a Lower-Division Requirement
- Quantitative Intensive BS Requirement (QI)
- Upper Division required courses will fulfill this requirement for majors.
*The General Education/Baccalaureate information shown above is intended to be complementary, but subordinate to the policies of the Office of Undergraduate Studies.
III. Lower-Division Required Courses
Many of these courses also fulfill General Education/Baccalaureate Requirements. Please see information above.
- ATMOS 1010, 1020, 3000, 3010, 3100, 3200 (15 units)
- MATH 1210, 1220, 2210, 2250 (15 units)
- CHEM 1210, 1215 (5 units)
- PHYS 2210, 2215, 2220 (9 units)
42.5 Total Units of Lower-Division Courses
IV. Upper-Division Required Courses
ATMOS 5000, 5020, 5040, 5050 (8 units)
ATMOS 5100, 5110, 5120, 5130, 5140 (10 units)
ATMOS Electives (10 units)
Technical Electives (21 units, may be additional ATMOS electives)
Technical electives must be selected in consultation with an advisor and are based on the career objectives of the student.
50.5 Total Units of Upper-Division Courses
V. Synthesizing Capstone Experience Requirement
ATMOS 5900 (2 units) Must be approved by Department. May include:
- An undergraduate research project
- A capstone course
- An internship focused on a career in the atmospheric sciences or closely related field
- Work experience closely related to the atmospheric sciences
Please see an academic advisor for more information.